Stitching – and a splash of ink (BG Wisteria)

There was a thread in the 123 forum where we all discussed that fact that we don’t use paint as much as we could. I’m guilty of that too – I dont even use it for my alphas any more – mostly I just ink them or do some sort of special finish. So I set myself the challenge to use some paint on a layout and not just to colour the alphas. I also wanted to have a little play with using stitching to add to the layout design. At least that’s where the thinking started – it kinda morphed from there.

The idea was to use stitching and some random daubs of paint to help frame the layout – the stitching part worked out fine, but I didn’t have a paint in a purple that matched my papers – so I needed an alternative to that – and I found the right colour purple in my Tim Holtz alcohol inks. You can still use paint in the way that I have – or Glimmermist, or ink of any kind.

I was working with those gorgeous BG Wisteria papers – lovely golds, creams, purples and soft greens and really wanted to feature the lovely purples in the paper. I was planning on a less cluttered look to the layout so that the paint and stitching would be the main focus – but we lost that somewhere under all the detail again. Sorry – just can’t help myself, πŸ™‚ I have to keep adding things.

So the basic idea was to use the stitching as a frame to the patterned paper – to do this I cut a bit of rubbish paper into the same size as the patterned paper (the lovely Finch) I was using and angled it slightly over the top of my patterned paper. This gave me an edge along which to make my sewing guide holes. I chose a purple embroidery thread that matched the paper and stood out from the cardstock.

Then I added a few drops of Wild Plum, Raisin, Gold Mixatives and Blending solution to my alcohol ink pad and just randomly stamped all around the patterned paper and stitching. The space is there because I knew I was putting something else over it and I could not see the point of stamping where it would not be seen.

20090623_IMG_3828_1

This makes a lovely base for the layout now. The mottled look with the purples and shimmery gold is really cool.

To add to the stitching I then pricked holes into the leaves I cut from one of the patterned papers (Primrose).
Using the purple thread again I stitched down the leaf. Once done, I pinched the leaves a little on either side and shaped them a little to give them some dimension. Then I Kindyglitzed the flowers they were tucked into.

20090624_IMG_3855_1

I’ve ended up coming up with what I think is a new chippy technique – I will save explaining that for another time, but as a hint – you need embossing powder, alcohol inks and Kindyglitz plus a little scrapping magic. So how is this for cool???

20090623_IMG_3846_1

And I had a lot of fun with my new chippy technique – here I altered an old button to give it a new lease on life. The flower it is on is made up of a couple of layers of an old Prima flower and I inked a white 10cm Green Tara flower the same way I did the inking on the paper/cardstock.

20090624_IMG_3863_1

So here is the finished layout – all about some feet. Lol – yep – all that pretty paper and it goes with some dirty feet. πŸ™‚ A little more gentle mother nagging for my eldest son and how he needs to be a good role model for his younger sister. Lmao – he likes the layout, but I don’t think he read the journalling.

20090624_IMG_3850footsteps_1

So check out the link to the 123 store and grab your own Wisteria – get in quick cause it is selling fast.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: