7 Gypsies – Gypsy Market

Ok – here is my first contribution to scrapping 2010. It was a while in the making, but finally it is done and I can share it with you. It’s a little darker than I normally go in layouts – but I loved the Gypsy Market collection as soon as I saw it and had to have those gorgeous 7 Gypsies papers. Of course they screamed “grunge” at me, but since I had a few grungy techniques I wanted to try, that was fine.

I’ve distressed all the paper edges and then inked over them in Black Soot Distress Ink. The bigger rips in the top paper are usually the result of over-enthusiastic use of the HS distresser, rather than any planned design, though I will make them bigger if it suits the layout. Scrap goss is that the Heidi Swapp brand itself is now discontinued – so you might want to stock up on her nifty little edge distressers while you can.

I have to confess that for a long time the layout was headed in a different direction, until I finally owned up that the grungeboard piece I had spent ages on was simply better off with a different paper combination – but cool, I will have another Gypsies layout to share at some point with that on it. So I sat there for ages (whilst fellow DT’s Mon completed 2 layouts and Kars covered her book covers) and pushed my photo around the 2 bits of paper. Sigh!! Who gets any scrapping done on scrap nights anyway??

Adding a third paper – the baby-poo yellow one (Herne) made all the difference to the layout. It gave me the ‘lift’ in the colours that I needed. Once I had that, the rest was simply embellishing.

The red chipboard and flowers were made in the same way. Inked with Fired Brick Distress Ink and then lightly ‘swiped’ over with some Black Soot Distress Ink. This gives them a lovely grungy weathered look. Then I added some Fired Brick Distress Stickles to the chipboard and some Peeled Paint Distress Stickles to the flowers. Whoo hoo that’s an awesome look – adding both glitter and texture to the surface of the chipboard/flowers.

The green chipboard is simply the same process, but with Peeled Paint Distress Ink.

Here you can see close up the grunge texture that the Distress Stickles gives the chipboard.

The yellow ochre flowers were coloured with a Colorbox chalk ink and then I used Walnut Stain Distress Stickles to embellish them. You can dry the Distress Stickles with a heat gun to help minimise the time spent drying your embellishments. A red Kaiser rhinestone for a centre completes them.

I used the Prima rubons and rhinestone flourishes to “fill in” some of the empty spaces in the layout. Some time I will have to try using the rubons with their original rhinestones – they have a heap in each pack and some are really tiny – they would look awesome together on a layout.

In the end I ran out of room for the journaling – so I used a hidden tag tucked under the photo edge. The photo was taken at Purlingbrook Falls in Springbrook and I wrote about how Madame was in paradise – just wandering about in her pussycat fairy costume looking for other pussycat fairies and enjoying the stream and wilderness. I may not be happy with the planned photos of her brother and his girlfriend (looooooong story) but I am thrilled with the incidental photos I got of my little fairy wildcat.

For those of you who like a little Timmy grunge in your scrapping – these papers are perfect for this type of work. Some of the other papers are not so ‘dark’ – so for those of you who like a brighter grunge, there’s also something to catch your eye. Whatever you do, don’t miss the chance to check them out for yourself – here – at 123.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: