Basic Grey – Jovial – a quick Xmas layout

I have been a little more absent than usual the last month or so – but that is mostly because I have taken on a curriculum writing contract that is keeping me busy and leaving me less time to scrap. So apologies about the lack of postings. I am off to the wilds of Wandoan for a few days now for this project, but wanted to pop this up before I went.

I got in the most gorgeous Christmas range from Tracy – Jovial – and just had to whip up something with it. Yeah, yeah, I know my whipping up takes longer than those words suggest – but over a few nights a couple of weeks ago, I had fun with it after my other work was done. Coming soon is the Blind Scrap layout for the month (need to take photos of it) and I am working with the Harry Potter range now – which you will all see in another week or so’s time. Until then though – meet my Christmas Fairy…

I am usually pretty fond of the Basic Grey Xmas ranges – but I love this range – the colours are so rich and vivid. I must admit to favouring the patterned papers with the more traditional reds, greens and cream – but the ice-blue papers are very pretty too. For me, the most appealing part of the paper pattern is the muted Christmas writing all over it – which you can either choose to make a feature of or disguise.

Merry and Bright uses a number of papers from the range. The base for the layout is a sheet of Snowball Fight which has been edge distressed to give it a shabby look and then I applied a generous inked edge using Tim Holtz Peeled Paint Distress Ink. To soften this up a little and to give the paper some Christmassy glitter, the edges were then sprayed with Iridescent Gold Glimmermist – which was allowed to mix with the distress ink and run down the page. I heat dried this – including all the little puddles and drips. The stunning Pomegranate was used to make a dimensional frame for the layout (after inking the edges with black ink) with Coal as a mat for the photo. The other papers – Merry Maker and Shop Keeper – were cut up into the various flowers and ornaments to use as embellishments for the page.

The title is an old chipboard one I have had for a while – not sure whose it is. That got a coat of Tim Holtz Peeled Paint Distress Ink and then I sprayed it with Iridescent Gold Glimmermist. Although the close-up seems to suggest it is only gold – it is actually still a green colour – but the shimmery gold is very strong.

Underneath the title I added a couple of the ornaments I had cut out from the patterned paper. There are touches of Crystalina Kindyglitz on their patterns to make them look pretty too.

In one corner of the layout I arranged some of the cut out flowers to form a floral spray. Extra leaves were cut out and added to this to ‘fill’ the corner a little more. There is also one of Tracy’s gorgeous silver bell charms with a little of her sheer red ribbon for a bow.

The main embellishment cluster is on the left of the photo. For the base of this I’ve cut a large Poinsettia flower out and then cut it further into its individual petal layers. These have been distressed and inked and then I pieced it all back together.

To make the flower 3D I have used a bit of spare acetate as a base. Placing the top petal layer on it (but not gluing it down) I have arranged the others underneath it – adhering them to the acetate with pop dots. The top petal layer is then simply glued down to the next layer when you are happy with the way it all looks. The finish off, the stamens got a generous dob of Crystalina Kindyglitz. And yes – it is missing one base petal – I removed that to allow for the ornaments to hang underneath it – you’re supposed to be polite and not notice it.

The rest of the cluster is composed of some ornaments underneath the Poinsettia and some other flowers and leaves layered up behind it. Some tuck under the photo and some lie over it. I also added another silver bell charm and one of the outline chipboard Christmas trees from Scrapware. To get the patchy look to the chipboard – rather than spray it with the Glimmermist – spray a puddle of the Glimmermist and ‘dunk’ the chipboard into it a couple of times. This gives you a mottled look – as you can see.

The layering works really well to give the layout depth and interest. This close-up here really gives you an idea of how well it works – plus how well the colours go together.

The chipboard flourishes are also Scrapware – the Naomi flourish – which is very pretty and delicate. They got the same ink and Glimmermist treatment. The tag at the top is one of the die cuts from the Jovial range – these come in a pack with a huge selection of patterns and shapes to choose from. Mine has a flourish tucked around it and one of the cut-out ornaments.

So there we have it – my little Christmas angel enjoying her Christmas last year. I do hope the costume still fits – she has been muttering about it again now that the stores have Christmas everywhere and school is almost over. Do check out Jovial though ladies – it is probably one of the better picks for Xmas ranges this year and I noticed that much of matches the colours in previous Basic Grey Christmas ranges – so mixing and matching is certainly possible.

Advertisements

One Response

  1. This is really gorgeous – love the PPs and all you have done Ngaire 🙂 love the true christmas feel !

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: